You have a steady job and enjoy playing your weekly netball game and being creative with crafts. Sometimes you feel like doing something completely different to relax. Sometimes you entertain yourself with online gambling, just for fun.
So what do you know about online gambling?
Firstly, you know that gambling is addictive and that you can lose a lot of money. You have had a flutter with friends at the horse races and your last years Christmas work social was at your local casino consisting of a yummy meal and a chance to “try your luck” at a game or two afterwards. So you know how easy it can be to keep spending in the hope of a win. Online gambling is no exception.
You feel that you are disciplined enough to set aside a certain amount of money for this entertainment. That is, you set aside what money you are prepared to lose and call your online gambling session fun. When this money is used up then you will stop gambling. However if you happen to make any winnings along the way then great. Call this a bonus which you can use for something special like a new pair of shoes or savings towards a holiday away somewhere. This ‘bonus’ is put aside and you continue gambling until your initial entertainment money is used up. Or you may choose to stop after a win. Stopping can be done at any stage up to your gambling limit.
– not to treat gambling as a way to earn money.
– not to set goals of how much you should win in each session.
– not to set your entertainment limits on an amount you can not afford.
– that there is no guarantee of a win – whether it is online or offline.
– that you are risking something to gain something.
You became aware of all of this with your offline experience at the horse races and casino. You saw first hand some people getting completely out of control. You see, when you win it is thrilling and exciting. Studies have found that gambling makes the brain react like it does with food and drugs. These people you saw, were occasionally winning and when this happened, they kept on gambling in the hope of winning more. But the odds were against them. They lost big time.
When you tried online gambling, you found that there were advantages over offline gambling.
You discovered that:
– you could try the games for free. Each online website has rules and regulations to follow.
– you get bonuses, as there is competition between websites to entice you to join.
– you do not have to travel as it can be done in your own home as long as you have a computer, active internet connection and credit or debit card.
– you can gamble in your own time for five minutes or two hours or anytime you want.
So you thought this was great for the times when you wanted to relax, wind down and just be by yourself.
If you are keen for some lone down time, why don’t you entertain yourself with online gambling, just for fun.